Warning: this lab may be considerably more time-consuming than the previous labs.
- Go through the exposition in the handout, executing the Matlab examples as you read.
- Do the exercises; collect your answers, plots, and script files in a short but complete write-up.
- Submit a hard copy of the write-up to the TA (due at the beginning of class Monday May 18).
- There were some typos in an earlier version of the handout. On page 1, in the definition of linear map, the equation 'f(u + u) = f(u) + f(v)' should read 'f(u + v) = f(u) + f(v)'. On page 5, Exercise 4b, f should be a map from P^3 to P^5 (thanks to Reid Oda and Justin Huang for pointing this out). Also, in various places, the vector space of polynomials of degree n was denoted with a superscript rather than a subscript. These were intended to all be subscripts (thanks to Justin Huang for pointing this out). These typos has since been corrected.
Matlab data files:
- Download these to your workstation and move them to a directory in your Matlab path (e.g. the current directory).
- lab6data.mat (you might need to "right-click" the link and then select "Save Link As").